Hutchinson Island is another little gem in Florida that I never knew existed until we decided to go to Hutchinson Shores Resort and Spa. Located right on the beach, the beauty of this hotel makes it one of the newest Opal Collection resorts. When we walked through the doors into the lobby, I joked that the smell reminded me of “home”. Opal Collection resorts burn a signature Nest candle that has become so familiar to me that I just bought one for my own home.
Opal Collection Perfection
If you’re looking for a beachside resort to “escape from it all” while indulging in luxury, Hutchinson Island would be exactly what you’re looking for in a vacation. The lobby of this resort has stunning features, like a giant wall that is filled with individual potted plants and an incredible glass fish delicately dangling above you. One of my favorite details in the lobby was their choice to have wood paneling instead of drywall. It’s similar to a shiplap look but more finished and elegant. It brings cozy warmth to the seaside vibes.
The hotel was originally a Holiday Inn that got destroyed during the 2004 hurricanes. Opal Collection kept much of the footprint, but of course, added on to it as well. They have tons of space for conferences, weddings, or small private presentations. The hotel’s General Manager, Ed, took us on a tour around the property. It was impressive to hear of the process that went into the interior decorations. In the evening, the lobby lighting dims to match the twilight mood outside. The conference rooms are named after different types of sea turtles. Even the artwork on the walls had a glaze brushed onto them to give them more of life-like feel. I love experiencing resorts that dazzle all of our senses.
On the other side of the resort is the larger pool, lounge chairs, daybeds, fire pits, and hot tub. Complemented with another poolside bar, you can also order light bites and have them delivered to your seat. Like every other Opal Collection hotel we’ve been to, the hotel was heated in January and warm enough to take a swim! However, you could almost always find us in the hot tub or snuggling up by the fire pit.
Check in was a breeze, as always. We got set up in an Oceanfront King Room and I was giddy with excitement as we opened the door. Talk about details! From beautiful wood-like flooring to the bathroom door having a “porthole” frosted window, the entire room was filled with coastal chic details. The bathroom tiles reminded me of fish scales and they carried that through the little things like the trash can and tissue holder. While the closet was small, I adored their selection of curtains over doors.
The room itself was a wonderful size. We had a king bed, coffee table, and loveseat that turned into a pull out bed. The desk was a great size and had two chairs which were perfect for when my parents hung out in our room for a glass of wine before dinner. The room also had a neat mini-fridge (it pulled out instead of swinging open), Keurig coffee maker, and beautiful open shelving.
The striped curtains complimented the vertical stripes on the headboard and it took us 24 hours to figure out that the sliding doors opened all the way. It was a cool weekend in January so I was obsessed with opening the doors and just letting the sounds of the ocean pour into our room. The balcony had two chairs and a table and was the perfect spot to watch the sunrise (we had cloudy sunrises all 3 mornings though).
Drift Kitchen & Bar
We literally had six meals here during the three nights we stayed at Hutchinson Shores Resort and Spa! SIX. We knew we could expect excellent service, delicious dishes, and yummy cocktails. We loved meeting up with my parents first thing in the morning to chat over coffee and breakfast. They offer a breakfast buffet on the weekend, but the four of us stuck to our favorites on the menu.
Drift Kitchen & Bar also has its own wood-burning pizza oven. So yeah, pizza was a food group over the weekend. It was so delicious and paired perfectly with their signature salads. The lobster bisque was also one of the best I’ve ever had and an evening chocolate martini was always a must. This restaurant proved to be a popular place for locals, too. I’d suggest making a reservation for dinner if you’re there during the weekend.
Hutchinson Island // Jensen Beach // Stuart
Hutchinson Shores Resort and Spa is located on Hutchinson Island which is a long, thin barrier island. With plenty to do, eat, and see in the area, some of my suggestions include:
- The Spa – This is the first time I splurged on a spa treatment at an Opal Collection resort and it was worth every penny. Hutchinson Shores offers all kinds of treatments, but the Coconut Breeze Warm Stone Massage was exactly what I needed.
- Horseback riding on the beach – I really wanted to do this, but the weather didn’t hold up for us. I think this would be a perfect addition to a fun weekend.
- Snorkeling / Diving at Bathtub Beach – It was too cold for us to get in the ocean, but this will be high on my list for next time. I read that during low tide you can actually walk right out to the reef from the beach. It’s perfect for the whole family!
- Fishing Charters – While deep-sea fishing isn’t my thing, several locals recommended the experience due it being one of the most bio diverse areas on the Atlantic Coast.
- Golfing – Again, I don’t golf, but my Dad and husband enjoyed an afternoon on the course in the Florida sunshine.
- Peter’s Steakhouse: We went here one night for dinner and it was one of those experiences that we’ll always remember. Not only was the food amazing, but our server made the whole night.
- Dolphin Bar & Shrimp House – Located right on the water, we had delicious seafood and gorgeous views.
- The Gafford – This restaurant was recommended to me by multiple locals, but we didn’t have an extra night to go here. It’ll be our first dinner spot the next time we’re there!
Want More Opal Collection?! Check Out:
3 Day Travel Guide to Jupiter, Florida
A Weekend Getaway at Zota Beach Resort in Longboat Key, Florida
The Boutique Hotel You Need to Book for Your Next Florida Vacation